For the last couple of days I’ve been trying to set up a Virtual Machine using VMware Workstation 12.5.7, taking advantage of it’s ability to deal with 3d graphics.
I’ve been using VMware Workstation in the past, several years ago (don’t remember which version) and I had no problems.
Currently I’m trying to set up an almost empty system with just a launcher for a single game that I plan to play on the Virtual Machine. It worked perfectly fine (same game) several years ago, when I had worse PC specs so I assumed it will work now.
However there is a persistent problem which I can’t figure out. I’ll do my best to describe it:
I start the game and it’s all working just fine. I get ~200 fps (lowest settings, 1024x768 res, audio disabled) and it’s smooth like butter. However after some time (from 5 to 20 minutes usually) the performance suddenly (it’s not gradual, it’s a very steep difference) becomes drastically worse. I still get the same ~200 fps ingame (measured by both Fraps and ingame fps counter) but it’s not silky smooth anymore, the controls aren’t responding immediately, it looks like a slideshow and camera jumps to a new frame every 1-2 seconds. It’s terrible, it feels like I have 5 fps, even the games apparently run at ~200 fps. When I quit the game and start it again, the whole process repeats. At the start it’s smooth but then (after 5-20 mins) it switches to terrible. The ingame activity doesn’t matter, as I might be sitting on the same level, or even on the same screen and it still happens. The only trigger I observed is that 5-20 minute time period. Ofc I tested that game without VMware and there is no issue with it. It’s a fairly popular game, and noone had a similar problem so I strongly believe it’s a problem with the current VMware version or my lack of ability to set it up correctly (even I’ve done that in the past and the game worked just fine).
I recorded the issue, so please view for the comparison (I’m just rotating the camera ingame with my mouse):
How smoothly it works at the begining: https://imgur.com/s3yxBWK
How bad it gets after the issue starts: https://imgur.com/zfTSyf0
So far I tried all of the following settings/configurations:
1-6GB of ram, 1-4 CPU cores, Windows 7 and Windows 10.
60 gb of disk space on a SSD (tried both preallocated 60 gb and flexible, not preallocated max 60 gb).
Accelerate 3d graphics on, with 1gb or 2gb memory.
Ofc I had latest VMware tools installed, I also removed printer/cd-rom/usb and disconnected sound card for best performance.
No matter what, the aforementioned issue still persisted.